Okay, besides going to school, yesterday I went with Susy on the chicken bus to San Antonio Aguascalientes. That is the town that many of the women who sell stuff around town here live and do weaving on a backstap loom to make much of the stuff they sell. They had a place there with many of them selling their stuff and some of them doing weaving with the blackstrap loom. It is a very interesting process and very labor intensive for the women who do it. Upstairs in the building they had a room with the different type clothes the people wear from different areas around Guatemala. It was interesting also. The bus ride there took about half and hour. The women who sell around town I think have a hard life. They have to make that trek every day from where they live to here in Antigua carrying with them whatever they are going to sell and them they spend hours and hours around town trying to sell stuff being rejected and turned down probably hundreds of times every day. It's not what I would like to do to survive.
Today after class I went to the Central Park area to meet Clara Luz. I had bought some things from her on Sunday but didn't have enough to pay her all I needed to so she just said to meet her one day this week and give her the money. I find that pretty crazy and humorous to owe a lady that is selling stuff on the streets of Antigua money. Also I bought a purse from her and the strap needed to be longer so Clara took it with her and made it longer for me.
Today while I was talking to Clara I asked if she needed to go sell some things and she said it was time for her to have lunch. I asked her where she eats
And she said her Aunt brings food. I asked if she ever ate at any of the restaurants around town and she said no that it was too expensive. I invited her and a friend she was with to go to lunch with me and she accepted. On the way her niece was passing by so she came with us. Clara wanted to eat at Pollo Compero which is a chicken place that the locals really like. So we ate at Pollo Campero. It was kind of fun to go to lunch with them.
Now I am having my coffee at McDonalds in order to use the Internet and update my Blog. Susy and I don't know who else are going to be at the market at 4 to do kid's Club so I suppose I will walk over and meet them there. After that it will be back to my room to rest and do homework.
No comments:
Post a Comment