Wednesday, July 15, 2015

SO FAR THIS WEEK

So far this week I have done a few different things. Monday in the afternoon I took the bus into Antigua to meet up with Susy because Lea was going to meet us in town. I had not seen her since I have been here. I went to Cafe Barista and waited and they both showed up about the same time. Lea has not been feeling good, she has a big lump On her shoulder and it bothers her to carry her stuff to town and try to sell. I'm sure the problem stems from the fact that she has carried that stuff around for years selling. When I was standing to order us some food for us in Cafe Barista Maria came by and I invited her in. It was a little awkward trying to talk with both of them at the same time. Susy really does all of the communicating between us all. Maria was telling us how her daughter is doing, she has been diagnosed with leukemia. She has been in the hospital in Guatemala City for quite a while and her husband has been staying with her since he is out of work and Maria has been trying to support the family on what little she sells. It's really heartbreaking. Maria believes God has said he is going to heal her daughter and I praise the Lord and say Amen! After that it was Monday night service at Camino Church. Bruce spoke and it was pretty good. Tuesday was a big day for me. Clara had invited us over to her house for a visit. I wasn't sure what to expect, if she would offer us food or what. Clara has a couple of sisters she is close with and it was her sister Sandra's house we went to becUse it was closer and easier to get to Clara said. Clara had come home from selling early and had prepared pepian for us to eat. I thought it was very tasty and enjoyed it. Clara was wearing an apron which was interesting because I had never seen her in an apron. She said she only wears one at home. After we ate one of Clara's relatives was doing a weaving on a back strap loom and we were just sitting around visiting so I had time to watch her for a while and it it very interesting how they do it and just completely labor intensive. After I just came back to the base. There is a new team that just came To the base so they were here when we got back. Florecita had prepared pepian for our dinner here so it was funny to have it twice in different places in the same day. Florecita's was good but I think Clara's was a little more flavorful. now I have another lady staying in my room also. She is nice enough. This morning Karin Bedford came and picked me up and we went to Olga's house. I had not seen Olga's family since I had been here. Karin had made some coffee cake and Olga's mom had made coffee and fixed refried beans and fried bananas. It was all pretty good. I really liked the refried beans. She had made them fresh this morning. It's was good to see Olga's parents and visit with them. After I got back to the base I decided to go to town and see if I could find Clara. I wanted to buy some bracelets from her that she makes. I found her and she had three bracelets in the colors I liked but I needed a couple more so she is going to make them tonight. I will go in tomorrow to get them from her. It started pouring rain and I had brought my unbrella but by the time I got back to the base I was soaked. Got my wet clothes changed and them it was time for dinner. I guess I had not had enough beans today because we had black and red beans for dinner. It's still raining which I think they really need. This is the rainy season and there really hasn't been much rain since I've been here. I'm going to rest the rest of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment