Friday, July 10, 2015
CATCH-UP ON THE PAST WEEK
I'm going to try and write an overview of this past week. Today is Friday July 10th. Last Friday, the day after Chris left I relaxed more or less all day. Saturday after lunch I went into Antigua to where Clara and Foustina sell on the weekend. I hadn't seen Foustina yet and I wanted to connect with her. I bought a few things from her and then in typical fashion Clara had things she wanted to sell me that I really didn't want to buy but ended up doing so anyway. I also bought a belt, like the ones the ladies wear with there skirts from Clara's sister. Then I stopped at Cafe Barrista and had a salad before going back to the base.
It was the Fourth of July and David and Florecita made a special American Fourth of July dinner for us which was fun and they played the song 'God Bless thr U.S.A.
Sunday I stayed at the base, read and relaxed most of the day But that night Susy and I went over to Joe and Karin Bedford's and played a game with them and their son Josh. It was good to see them and spend some time visiting with them. Found left overs in the fridge to eat. Monday was the Monday night service the base does at Camino church, and I went. Bruce gave the message and it was pretty good.
Tuesday I went into town in the afternoon, talked to Clara and then went to cafe Barrista and got something to eat with her and talked for a while. Florecita made some black beans for dinner (other things also) and they were just really good. I want to find out how she made them. Wednesday was just a chill day.
Thursday Karin asked if I wanted to go into Antigua and go to the market with her which I did. It was interesting going to the places where she buys things like her vegetables and stuff at the market. I bought 'roasted' macadamia nuts that they sell at one place she buys stuff. That is the only place I have ever heard of them roasted like that. I went there with her last time I was here and bought some. They are quite different when you first try them and then they were quite addicting and I just keep eating them until they were gone. This time I'm not going to even eat one while I am here so I don't end up eating them all because I want to share them when I get home. I also bought a mango that was totally huge like I had never seen before. It was at least 3 times as big as a normal mango and it cost about $0.80.
When Karin was done with her shopping we went and got coffee at this place I had gone to with Aaron last Friday that is outside and is a nursery where they sell plants. Aaron and I got breakfast there last Friday and it was pretty good and it's a pleasant place to sit and visit. At the church Karin, Joe, and their family go to they have a Thursday night service and she asked if I wanted to go. Joe was giving the message that night. I hesitated because I'm not fond of too many 'church meetings' but I went and actually enjoyed it. Joe's message was good and Olga's dad was there and it was good to see him.
Today is Friday, Susy and I took the car into town and went to a Bible Study that she has been going to. It was with some of the ladies I had met at Bible Study with Susy the last time I was here and it was good to see them. The study was also very good and I really enjoyed it. Afterwards we ran some errands and then drove to the base and I drove the car. Susy showed me how to get to Olga's house. Driving across Ciudad Viejo is crazy and I'm sure like most towns in Guatemala. The streets are narrow and there and people walking, people on bicycles, people on motorcycles, cars, dogs, big trucks, speed bumps, and just plain crazy to drive. Then we drove to the macadamia nut farm to have lunch. When we left there I passed on driving and let Susy take over. She always says she doesn't like to drive but she is a good driver and knows the ways of driving here. I had macadamia nut pancakes which I really enjoyed. we stopped and got some new wiper blades on the car then went back to the base.
I had dinner and now I am typing this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment