Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WHERE IN THE HECK AM I

Well I was not looking forward to our trip to Yulmacap. From what I had been able to discern about the place I thought what in the heck are we going to do there for a week, please oh Lord let them cut the trip shorter. I continued to think those same thoughts for several days after arriving, or more or less the whole time I was there.
We slept in two of the rooms of the school, boys in one room and girls in the other. It was bug infested, no power, cement floors, and certainly no bathrooms anywhere in sight. This was not what I was looking forward to to finish off our outreach experience.
A man who lived not too far from the school was the one who kind of hosted us being there. He had a very unpleasant outhouse but had built a small building with a shower and toilette that although was a little questionable with it's pieces of black plastic for doors but was inviting with it's running water although the water in the shower was freezing cold and took your breath away when you stood under it.
There were 14 in our group and he had a wife and 8 children with a random variety of other people that lived there we shared these facilities with.
Also they had a room that I think used to be there house that they now used for a kitchen with a wood burning stove to cook on, that is how all the cooking is done by the people there is a wood burning stove. A lady came with us and another girl who helped us with the things we were doing and they cooked our meals for us. We would sit on the stairs going up into the house to eat our meals. Bruce and Kalissa are thoughtful in the food they buy and bring for us so we did eat pretty good even in these somewhat primitive conditions. Also there is no refrigeration so a couple of times they killed chickens which we ate and one day someone in town was slaughtering a cow so we had beef that day.
I will tell of our ministry there next.

No comments:

Post a Comment